Monday, August 31

Spooky Spectral Swamp Tree How-To

Glowing swamp trees illuminate a spectral blue when under UV blacklight

Glowing Swamp Tree for a Diorama


Miniature holiday village landscape



I've tried to use the trees from my Christmas display in my Halloween Village but found that they ruined the Halloween ambiance I was aiming for and I didn't want to spend a bunch of money buying retail Halloween trees. 

I researched the various methods that others have used to make their own model trees. Surprisingly the same basic steps were used by almost everyone. Basically, a piece of wire is twisted over and over to create the trunk and branches. So, I decided to give it a go, but I add my own spooky twist to the design.



Example of the DIY Swamp Tree by Ashley Kleinsmith

Spooky Spectral Swamp Trees

Materials

  • 3x3 piece of cardboard
  • 20-30 gauge wire (speaker wire or floral wire works well)
  • Hot glue
  • acrylic paints (browns, greens, black)
  • Floral moss (any color)
  • (optional) a handful of sand

Instructions 

  1. Paint a 3-inch x 3-inch piece of cardboard to look like the terrain of your village. Set aside to dry. (You'll notice in my photos that I did not do this step first and ended up wishing I had because the cardboard's color difference was visible beneath the tree
  2. Cut 30-50 strands of wire into approximately 6inch - 9 inch pieces. The pieces do not need to be exact & you do not want them all to be equal lengths.
  3. Using 5-6 strands of wire, hot glue the end of the strands together on one side to create a "bundle". Make 5 bundles
  4. Beginning on the glued end twist the bundles together loosely, progressively twisting tighter and tighter. Do this to all 5 bundles.
  5. Glue all 5 bundles (glued ends down) onto the painted piece of cardboard
  6. Twist the glued loosely wrapped end of the 5 bundles together to create the tree trunk. Use glue if necessary to hold the bundles twisted together



  1. Adjust the tightly twisted ends  of each bundle to be bent in different directions, mimicking the gnarled branches of an old tree
  2. Untwist just a few wires from each bundle and bend them in all different directions to create small branches jutting out from the main big branches 
  3. Coat all of the branches with hot glue. Drizzle hot glue all over these wire bundles letting the glue drip from the branches


  1. Once all the hot glue is dried and you are satisfied with the effect, paint over the glue using browns and greens. 
  2. Glue brown or green floral moss to your painted swamp tree 
  3. Optional: glue sand and rocks onto the cardboard to blend the tree base in with the terrain
  4. Set up your tree in your village under a blacklight to get the glowing effect 


Alternative Methods


I came across this tutorial on www.instructables.com for making wire trees. I haven't tried their method of wrapping the wire around two nails, but it sounds like it would be a great time saver and I can't wait to try it. 


The 2 photos above are from instructables.com "How to Make Quick and Easy Model Wire Trees" by lukeaness 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured

Take a Tour Through Haunted Hallows (Halloween Village Display From 2019)

Better late than never!  I am definitely late sharing my Halloween village from 2019.  Take a tour through my Haunted Hallows 2019 Halloween...